[BC] Florida Keys

Charles Wooten NF4A nf4a at knology.net
Mon Nov 29 15:04:56 CST 2010

In 1984 or 85, I was called to Big Pine Key to work on that station that
Dave Hultsman mentioned....the one with the 140 foot self supporting tower
with a 12 bay antenna on it......the transmitter was an Elcom-Bauer and was
off the air due to plate overloads and several of the local engineers had
tried to fix it. They flew me down from the Panhandle (where I still live
today) to fix it since no one else could seem to find the problem. I quickly
found the problem, an open 10 or 12 ohm resistor across the coil of the
plate overload relay. The closest parts house was in Miami so the manager of
the station called out to the VOA site at Marathon and asked the engineer
there (who had tried to fix the Elcom) if he had a resistor. We ended up
driving to Marathon and found a resistor and I got a full tour of the site
while I was there.

Charlie Wooten
Clear Channel Radio
Panama City, FL