[BC] Rotary Fader Boards

Scott Bailey wmroradio at bellsouth.net
Sun Nov 28 22:37:28 CST 2010

> From: "mike at mike.fm" <mike at mike.fm>
>
> FWIW, you should know that all the time Rick Dees was at KIIS, he insisted on
>an RCA BC7-A.
> With Daven rotary attenuators.  Which he ran himself.

Yea, I knew that, as a matter of fact, I think it was a few years ago, some
company built a console just for him!  I'm with Rick on that!  I'm not much of a
"slide fader" fan.  It doesn't scream "Local Radio" to me!

When I tell you this, your going to think I'm nuts, but my 1 KW
AM Station's Console got hit by a good storm several years ago. The insurance
company and a broadcast vendor wanted me to replace it with
an Wheatsone/AudioArts R 55E, with 10 faders. Me and my engineer at the time,
Jim "Turbo" Turvaville put it in. After the installation and three to four weeks
of using it, I began to hate it!  It was too big for a small AM Station like
mine. It was like a Monster to me, and took up too much of our counter space!

I sold the console, and now I have the type board that I was trained with way
back when I was a teenager. A good ole BE, 5 Channel, Rotary Fader, Mono
Console.  Now that BE 5M150 may be 31 years old, but it screams "Local Radio"
when you look in my control room. The board that was hit by the storm was an
LPB/Dynamax, 8 channel, slide fader board. It was o.k., but it only lasted two
years!

Right at this moment, that BE Console is on the air!  My new engineer rebuilt a
line amp card in it, and I bought a spare BE 5M150 for spare parts. I love the
smaller consoles, especially rotary fader ones. I wanted to buy an Autogram 6
Channel, Rotary Fader Board, because I like the big meters that Autogram used,
but all that is out there is those big 10 Channel (IC-10) Autogram Rotary Fader
Consoles. I was never able to find a smaller Autogram rotary fader console,
Model (IC-6).

I have RSD, and a large console is to heavy for me to lift, if I had to move it
to clean dust under it, so I prefer the small, rotary fader console.  My BE
Console is not that heavy.
 Scott Bailey
WMRO-AM, Gallatin, TN