[BC] Radio training

Alex Hartman goober at goobe.net
Sun Nov 28 20:58:08 CST 2010

That part is already here. In my short tenure as a broadcast engineer, my "height" was 25 studios and 19 transmitters. 9 of which was owned by the company i worked for, the rest was contract work.

Broadcasting is not dying in a literal sense. It's changing gears. As more and more people move to the internet though, you will see a panic (and probably already have, look at Clear Channel, CBS, etc that panicked and canned a LOT of people, sold stations, etc). This does though allow for the local guy to get back in, cheap.

If a GM expects to see better numbers by replacing his morning show with a satellite receiver, well... you get what you pay for. :)

Also, people in general have lowered their standards as far as quality. MP3 would be the perfect example of this. A 128k MP3 stream is sufficient for the masses, to me it sounds like crap, but i'm not the "normal" listening audience. They've also settled on a quality of product as well. Look at American Idol. There's a little talent in there, but it goes to show what american's believe is "talent" these days. The winners of the competition generally are NOT talented. I can sing in the shower just as well as taylor swift, but i don't look nearly that good. :) This applies to all genres of music. Country, top40, lite rock, etc. There's simply no talent. Hell, a good portion of the hip hop community is recycling hits from the 70's! Then they also get "critical acclaim" from people in their mid-20's who were never exposed to The Police and the like calling them revolutionary for coming up with it. (read: TMZ)

I wish a band would come along like The Beatles again and show the kids how it's done. Play an instrument AND sing at the same time. Or just play an instrument! At least that requires a bit more than standing around on a stage!

--
Alex Hartman