[BC] Radio training

Mike McCarthy towers at mre.com
Sun Nov 28 20:32:24 CST 2010

On 11/28/2010 2:46 PM, dpuopolo at usa.net wrote:
>From: Scott Bailey<wmroradio at bellsouth.net>
>
>>Good gracious alive, why do those teachers want to teach them youngins old
>>school stuff when nobody has any use for it anymore.
>I would have a tough time teaching radio broadcasting to anyone today. Whether
>we like it or not-radio is a shrinking, possibly dying industry. To say
>otherwise is to be in denial. People need to be trained to work in industries
>that are new and (still) EXPANDING.

 I don't think broadcasting is necessarily dying.  It will contract to be certain with a great number of rim-shots and over radio'd 80/90 in-filled markets seeing a dwindling number of voices as the $$$ pool allocated to radio shrinks.

But I think it will be 20 years before broadcasting will see the fate of newspapers/print media.  In the mean time, stations will need to do more with less, technology will extend the engineering work reach, and contractors will become more prevalent, but cover more transmitters and fewer operating studios.

MM