[BC] Hotel Internet Services

Ron Youvan ka4inm at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Nov 28 20:28:57 CST 2010

Dave Hultsman wrote:

> In the US hotels were just getting with it, providing Free internet to rooms by using the part of their corporate Internet T1 or bonding a several DSL's on their trunk lines, installing a router and wiring the rooms with Cat5.  Now the trend is to go back to wireless since it is easier for most people to connect.

   Last year (2009) my family (and I) drove from near Tampa (over night in N. Georgia) to Southern
Illinois, to Chicago, (to visit the Museum of science and industry) overnighting the next night in
Hammond, then to Hobart, IN for a visit then on to Sinsinatti, Ohio, (over night in S. Tennessee)
and back to Tampa.
I never did find wired internet in any motel or hotel, always WiFi always free, only once could I
send POP3 mail (N.W. Chicago) (I use RoadRunner) through the connection, all others made me *send*
with web-mail which many love, but not me.  I could get my POP3 E-mail directly in all cases.
Incidentally in the N.W. Chicago hotel I could not get or find a WiFi signal in the room, anywhere
in any hall on any floor except in the lobby, and it was quite strong. (the front desk said they
have 3 zones 3 bands)  In almost every case I had to call the front desk for a password and user-name.
   I prefer wired internet and I used my netbook (with an external DVD drive and headphones) to play
DVDs for my young son after an early bath.  My netbook has 2.4 Gig WiFi only but the Chicago hotel
said that should work fine.

--
Ron KA4INM