[BC] FM History (AM history)

Rich Wood richwood at pobox.com
Sun Nov 28 20:24:33 CST 2010

------ At 12:02 PM 11/28/2010, Barry Mishkind wrote: -------

>XETRA

The 5 letter call looks very strange to me because we never used it
in English. The ID was done in Spanish for years by the wife of Luis
Carrillo, the owner who sold it to the Noble family. I believe Luis
owned it when Gordon McLendon programmed it as All-News. When GM John
Lynch hired me away from TM in Dallas he requested I not tell anyone
where I was going. When Luis discovered I was going to program the
station instead of him he insisted we remove her. We scoured Mexico
City for someone who sounded exactly like her.

It's also interesting that the Mexican government let us use XETRA-FM
when it should have been XHTRA. When the owner is a good friend of
the Mexican President, things get done. It also never used the 5
letter call, except for the ID. We named it 91X.

Rich