[BC] AM Stereo

Broadcast List USER Broadcast at fetrow.org
Fri Nov 26 22:07:36 CST 2010

Jerry:

Barry is completely right, and I would not have clipped so much,
except that the filter would have gotten me.

The FCC did not write receiver standards.  They could have and should
have.

The broadcasters were FORCED to comply with NRSC, and other standards,
but the FCC has NEVER written a receiver standard.

If they had, we would have had a working interoperability like FM pre-
emphisis and de-emphisis.

The receiver manufacturers were free to really screw up the frequency
response, while the broadcasters were limited in what they could do in
response, though that was likely good, because the war prior to that
was really awful.

You really need to read what Bob Orban has written in this thread, but
also what he has written in years gone by.

This history has unfolded over many decades, but the fact is the lack
of FCC standards over RECEIVERS is quite possibly the biggest problem
we have had, and has had a lot do do with why the US Medium Wave band
is so screwed up, and why stations, especially the smaller ones (at
least the full-time ones) are having the issues they are today.

Then again, could AM Stereo save AM?  Not a chance.  At best, it could
have pushed back the decline a few years at best.

Could better fidelity have helped?  You bet.  It could, even today.

The FCC should have never allowed the additional stations, and should
have allowed the unprofitable to fail.  That culling of the herd
should allow the remaining stations more power, and better frequency
response.

Oh, well.

I have to say that questioning the writings of folks like Bob Orban
and Barry Mishkind is pretty bold, and pretty arrogant.  You can do
it, but you really need the data to back it up.

And to pile on, I believe Barry was spot on when he wrote that we have
done ourselves a real disservice when we pushed negative modulation
beyond 90-92% negative modulation.  We were really idiots, and
frankly, we remains so, Magnivox aside.

--chip