[BC] 26 Mhz RPU/IFB

Tim Berry timb447457 at aol.com
Sun Nov 28 12:57:09 CST 2010

Brian trust of the engineering world,

Please allow me to step into this discussion. I would love to find a decent powered 26 MHZ transmitter to use as an IFB for my stations in Eastern Tennessee. There just doesn't seem to be one out there.

I am responsible for three formats on five signals, two of which are all-talk and all-sports. In September, we did over 100 remotes in one month, with as many as 14 in one day. We use our RPU equipment daily, and to have a RF-based IFB soloution for pre-delay audio and cueing would be perfect. I have been looking for a while for a 26 MHz transmitter to use in conjunction with our VHF and UHF RPU channels for an IFB back to the remote sites. I bought a Comrex 1 watt IFB transmitter about five years ago, and had a commercial amplifier company custom-build a 100 watt amplifier for it. The problem is that the Comrex transmitter's output circuit will not stay tuned to the input of the amplifier, Even on a dummy load, the output wanders. I called Comrex about this, and received a polite but stern warning not to use their transmitter in this type of application.

I have spoken with Daniels Electronics in Canada. They are about the only manufacturer I know of that is still manufacturing low-band commercial equipment, and they had a *mild* interest in trying to make their 30-50 MHz equipment work at 26 MHz. However,  with only me asking, their R&D costs would not be offset by selling just one or two transmitters. I was promised a return call after they had their yearly planning meetings, but nothing yet. I have also spoken with ISC technlogies in Qunicy, Illinois, where they repair and re-manufacture the paging transmitters that were mentioned. At last call, they have no low-band equipment to even try to modify. Even so, most of the paging transmitters that I was familiar with were in the 43 MHz range when they existed. I know there were some 35 Mhz paging frequencies out there,  but I don't know what happened to the equipment that was being used.  There is a standardization of "splits" in the 30-50 Mhz range, with the low end being the 30-36 Mhz range. So most of the low band paging equipment that I have seen is in the wrong range. There is a English company that I found called "Multi-tone," who makes transmitters in the 26 Mhz range for paging in their country. I have called them and left messages, but no one has returned my calls. I have spoken with Nautel, Ten-Tec (yes, that Ten-Tec...they make transmitters for the military)  and with the company that makes the IPA's for Harris transmitters...no luck. Once upon a time, Motorola and GE made land mobile transcievers in the 25-30 Mhz range. I had a lead on some a few years back, but it never worked out. I doubt that much of that equipment even exists anyomre.

As a person whose first gainful employment was working on low band radios, I know that this application would work, and I am willing to try it (even with the "freebanders" around). I have two frequencies licensed and am ready to go. If anyone finds any type-accepted, workable equipment in the 26 MHz area, I would like to talk to you.

Tim Berry WB4GBI
Chief Engineer
WIVK-FM   WNML AM/FM  WNRX-FM  WOKI-FM
Knoxville, TN