[BC] Cart machines

Mike McCarthy towers at mre.com
Sun Nov 28 12:25:49 CST 2010

On 11/28/2010 11:24 AM, Frank Gottlieb wrote:
>In a message dated 11/26/2010 7:35:06 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, pd at avnewstalk.com writes:
>>We want to give the students the experience of a traditional broadcast facility of years gone by; so they can appreciate the changes in
>>technology in the broadcast facility.>>
>>

>>And IMHO, that is what is missing in education today.  Campus stations tend to be state of the art to provide students the experience of working in a modern day station.  But how do they learn where we are today if they don't know the past?
>>
>>Education should include how we got to where we are today.  It's great to get hands-on with todays gear to be prepared for the contemporary job market.  But education isn't just about preparing for the future.  A well-rounded education is also about learning about the past and the road leading to the present day.

 While I see the point to keep history as a teaching tool, advanced schooling and the activities which surround the total education effort is to learn one's artcraft and interests for the future. Not to dwell on and yearn for the "good ole" past. Much the same as those of us schooled in the early 80's where many things today are far different than they were even then.

A demonstration of TT's, carts, RR (blade editing) and other now archaic equipment is a worthwhile example of how it was done in the old days. But that can be covered in a history class.

MM