[BC] sports audio feed

Mike McCarthy towers at mre.com
Sun Nov 28 12:25:08 CST 2010

On 11/28/2010 10:56 AM, Ron Youvan wrote:
>Mike McCarthy wrote:
>>    For field to station use, the base station RX antenna with any gain
>>will be HUGE!!!  A 4 bay cardioid leg mounted loop antenna will be
>>around 130ft.  How many stations are going to spend upwards of $8K to
>>buy and install a gain HF RPU antenna (before even factoring pattern,
>>line and loading issues).
>    I'm not sure what frequency we are talking about here, but if it's
>26.31 MHz. we must not forget about the "cubical quad" antenna.
>Another possibility, although not available commercially is the "Moxon beam."

 I'm referring to what can be side or leg mounted on a tower.  Not a ham antenna which can be rotated or needs to be top mounted.  There's a great amount of impracticality to any such antenna in commercial use.

Now granted, a skirt like vertical dipole could also be used hung between two side arms. But that too is a BIG antenna with severe pattern distortions on the tower side null and tuning needed. If a station needs omni operation, a phased array or two offset dipoles would be needed.
Again, with each dipole being nearly 40 ft. long, that's a LOT of vertical antenna to mess around with.

MM