[BC] sports audio feed

Mike McCarthy towers at mre.com
Sun Nov 28 07:19:47 CST 2010

  For field to station use, the base station RX antenna with any gain
will be HUGE!!!  A 4 bay cardioid leg mounted loop antenna will be
around 130ft.  How many stations are going to spend upwards of $8K to
buy and install a gain HF RPU antenna (before even factoring pattern,
line and loading issues).

Heck, even an Avanti Sigma 5/8 is a whale of an antenna to be mounted on
a tower...and it's by no means durable.  Plus that pattern will be
rather cardioid even with a 9 ft. sidearm.

Conversely, a field receive antenna is SO inefficient at that range
UNLESS you can somehow get it to around 45 deg. At 12 meters, that's
something around 5ft.

Now for a vehicle which has a roof or even trunk to put an antenna,
that's one thing.  But I certainly would not want a 60" whip on top of
my van to slam against every tree branch, drive through overhang, or low
bridge one might encounter while mobiling around town.  Just look at any
state vehicle which still uses 30-50Mhz systems for regional mobile
coverage.  Just about everyone I've seen (if you can find them today)
has a bent antenna at the top.

It's a fair balance to be certain and much the same as AM (as well as
LORAN)has faced over the years with it's incredibly short RX length to
freq. antenna ratio. Many early stations wanted super powers to overcome
the inefficient receive antennas.  This specific instance is the same.

While you can certainly gain a fair amount of groundwave coverage by
going to HF IFB, your RX will need to be equally effective.  Otherwise,
what's the point when a high-band VHF IFB will do much the same within
50 miles, but with smaller and far more efficient antennas.

MM