[BC] sports audio feed

Fred Morton radioguy at airmail.net
Sat Nov 27 18:21:37 CST 2010

At KWFB, we use a Comrex Access at the studio, and a Bric-Linc for the remote end. When we can find a working Ethernet connection, the system typically works very well, with very low latency and excellent audio quality, especially for sports (we do the local college football and basketball broadcasts).

Where we've run into problems is when we use a Sprint air card plugged into a Cradlepoint MBR900 3G/4G N Band router, which in turn gives internet to our Bric-Linc.

The system is subject to drops in service, sometimes for a few seconds, sometimes for almost a minute, even though the Sprint card indicates more than enough signal to make it work. And even though Wichita Falls is supposedly covered by Sprint 4G, that's not been our experience.

We went on the recommendation of our chief engineer with respect to the Sprint. I wish we had gone with Verizon instead. The Sprint experience has been a disappointment, but unfortunately we're stuck with it for the two year contract term, which we'll be terminating when the time is up.

I still believe such a system can work, but I don't own a Verizon air card with which to try it out with.  I wish I did, and I would have more to share with the group. Oh well, life goes on. Hopefully, we'll find something else that works better from a wireless standpoint.

Fred Morton
Houston

--
Fred R. Morton, CSRE