[BC] FM History (AM history)

Dana Puopolo dpuopolo at usa.net
Fri Nov 26 20:39:31 CST 2010

Actually, in 1967, WRKO bought two transmitters-a Continental 317 50 kW and a
10 kW Continental for standby. They ran with these until July 1974, when they
installed a Gates MW-50 for the main. In 1995 or so they replaced the MW-50
with a DX-50 and sold the MW-50 to Alex Langer who used at at WBIX 1060 in
Natick, MA. To my knowledge the two Continentals are still there (the 317 is
the standby), though the 10 kW can not easily go on the air.

I'm sure that Sid could update this for us...

I'm not sure whether the MW-50 went to the new owners of 1060. I know that
Grady put in a BE 50 kW a few years ago and that the new owners bought a new
Nautel rig recently, so it's possible that the MW-50 will spend the rest of
its days sitting unused in Framingham.

-D

From: Edward Susterich <edward.susterich at gmail.com>

I have no information for the old FM equipment at WRKO, but the old 5 KW
RCA-5DX transmitter went to WADR in Remsen, New York, in 1967.  It enabled the
transition from 1kw to 5 kw for the new WADR which replaced the silent WREM on
1480 khz in Remsen.  A new 50 KW transmitter at WRKO made the older 50 KW the
new standby and displace the much older RCA-5DX.