[BC] 7/8" vs 1-5/8" line for 2kW FM

Mike McCarthy towers at mre.com
Fri Nov 26 18:59:50 CST 2010

Based on prior experience I'd recommend using the heavier line for a
length that long.  A balance would be to use 1-1/4" line with EIA
connectors and pressurize through the center conductor.  But 7/8" line is
not heavy eough for 3500W IMO. If TPO was less than 2000, then I'd say
7/8" would be fine for that length.

Now, I know people will come back and tell me 7/8" voltage rating is high
enough and it's VSWR rating is sufficient.  Well...two things....

1) I've seen 1-5/8" burn up with less, and
2) That my opinion.

MM

Brain trust