[BC] 7/8" vs 1-5/8" line for 2kW FM

Richard Fry rfry at adams.net
Fri Nov 26 17:58:24 CST 2010

Edwin Bukont wrote;

>I am trying to decide which direction to advise on in a project.  The
>question is, do I want to use 7/8" (lower cost) or 1-5/8" (lower loss) for
>an @ 450-500' run from transmitter shack to antenna.

>The station is a Class A.  Transmitter can do 3.5kW, so the higher loss of
>the smaller line is not an issue.  I suspect the smaller line was used
>originally for several reasons of cost, size (tower load) and maybe to
>allow a more fringe signal friendly TPO calculation for making up the loss
>of the line.  Fringe coverage and closer building penetration are important
>to this project.

Some of this analysis depends on the frequency, the antenna gain, the
authorized ERP (maybe 2 kW?), ERP upgrade possibilities, and even the cost
of a-c power at that location.

But in general, using a transmission line rated for higher power, and
therefore having a higher tolerance for far-end load mismatches such as
antenna icing and other "sub-optimal" matching of the antenna to that
transmission line might be useful, regardless as to whether or not that line
ever went out of production.

RF