[BC] Cart machines - and others

Glen Kippel glen.kippel at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 13:07:29 CST 2010

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 4:31 AM, Gary Glaenzer <glaenzer at frontier.com> wrote:
>From: "Glen Kippel" <glen.kippel at gmail.com>
>>>---------------
>>
>> Yes, we started KAPX in San Clemente (now KWVE) with a pair of Scully 270s
>> and a Gates SC-48 brain.

>did your have the 'logger' function ?

>it recorded a 5-digit number in bursts of 8 kHz tone on the cue track of the
>carts

>and used a modified (solenoids for pushbuttons) Victor adding machine to
>make the print-out

No, we didn't have the "logger."   That sounds like a real kluge.  Once I got the grand tour of the Schafer plant in Carpenteria with Andy McClure, and saw their logging system using a KSR-33 Teletype unit.  I really liked the 903 system, but never really never got to play with one -- mostly 902s.  And a couple of Ken Aitken specials, the aforementioned Gates, and a Broadcast Products brain that I tricked into doing time-insertion like a 903, using a timer that I built myself.