[BC] FM History

Jeff Johnson jeff at rfproof.com
Thu Nov 25 13:24:23 CST 2010

I'm sure we've all read "Empire of the Air: The Men Who Made Radio" by Tom
Lewis.

History of any subject is first written by the winners, and then revised.
Who knows the accuracy of any of it? On our trip to China in 2008, one of
our group was a young Vietnamese lady of college age studying at Xavier,
Cincinnati. I mentioned 'the war' and how I had been an anti-war hippie. I
expressed regret for what the U.S. did to Vietnam. She seemed unconcerned
about such, to her and her generation, ancient, irrelevant history. My
regret, myself included, was also ancient and irrelevant.

Exploring the bones of the very famous WLW 500 kW TX is, in the present,
just crawling among so much cold steel, brass and glass. Stacked behind it
is the paperwork involving Powel Crosley's attempt to license WLW
permanently for 'Super Power'. It was like walking through the Roman Forum.

Jeff.Johnson at rfproof.com