[BC] AM Stereo and Leonard Kahn

Robert Orban rorban at dslextreme.com
Thu Nov 25 02:41:22 CST 2010

At 05:48 PM 11/23/2010, RichardBJohnson at comcast.net wrote:
>Also, the Kahn system was distortion-less in a strict technical
>sense. There was no inherent distortion in the system definition
>itself, only in its implementation.

If I recall correctly, the Kahn system as proposed to the FCC was the
only one of the proposed systems whose detector was not a
mathematical inverse of the modulator, so there was an intrinsic
nonlinear distortion component in it. This came about because of the
envelope detector compatibility that was part of the system
requirement. Khan may have corrected this in a later incarnation, but
I'm not sure. It wasn't straightforward.