[BC] FM History

rj carpenter rcarpen at comcast.net
Thu Nov 25 09:12:13 CST 2010

It wasn't only Big Bad RCA.  Prior to WW2 there were a few major
large-coverage FM stations. One example would be W43B Paxton, near
Worcester, Mass. It had an ERP of about 300 kW, IIRC. I visited the
site, probably in the winter 1951/2. There were still a few dregs of the
50 kW low-band transmitter. WGTR was then running a 1 kW high-band rig.
A very depressing sight on a dreary day.

A few super-power stations made it to the new band, but most have the
equivalent of 100 kW ERP at 1000 ft or 2000 ft, depending on Zone.

My friend W3XO (ex-W3KMV) attributed the near-demise of the super-power
FM stations to what he called the CBS Single Market Plan. CBS was a
major player in Class I AMs and didn't want wide-coverage FM upstarts.
Google doesn't provide me with a refernce.

bob c.