[BC] AM Stereo

Peter Smerdon psmerdon at fastmail.com.au
Wed Nov 24 16:17:16 CST 2010

I don't recall Australia ever choosing the Magnavox system.

My recollection is that, following the US Magnavox decision, the Aussie
regulators (called, I think, the P&T division of the Dept of the Media
at the time) allowed a trial period where any station could put any of
the four systems to air, with the proviso that they give PTT engineers
total access for testing and observation. This was to aid in the
selection of the final system.
We were all told that it was at our risk, if we bought a system that did
not win the "shootout".

We choose the Harris VCPM system - the local and Quincy Harris sales
guys, and Dave Hershberger were also very persuasive.
Is Dave still lurking here??

Less than a year later they choose the Motorola C-QUAM system.

Later Harris provided mod details to convert the VCPM exciter to C-QUAM,
which I did - and put it to service on the standby transmitter.
It didn't spec as good as a "native" Moto exciter but it met the P&T specs.

Maybe one of your big customers - the transmission provider for the Govt
broadcasters (National Transmission Agency) - chose to "trial" the
Magnavox system, given it had (albiet  briefly) the FCC "seal of approval".

I no longer recall who was trialling what - but Harris was very big,
largely due to the efforts of Mario Fairlie of Harris Aust and (I think)
Chris Brown from Quincy (and Dave, of course).

Regards,

--
Peter Smerdon.
Melbourne Australia.