[BC] The "Net Neutrality" proper position to have ??

Rich Wood richwood at pobox.com
Wed Nov 24 11:25:59 CST 2010

------ At 09:12 PM 11/23/2010, Andy Soule wrote: -------

>I don't recall net Neutrality having anything to do with speed.  You
>get whatever speed you pay for at the best rate you can
>find.  Competition helps keep rates reasonable.

All I've read about the Comcast suit had to do with speed. They
wanted the right to throttle sites that didn't pay extra and people
who were heavy data users. It's much easier and cheaper to punish
customers than it is to make the infrastructure meet the demand. I
don't believe it had anything to do with censoring cites or email.
That's another can of worms that'll probably be opened soon. It'll
probably be sold as a way to protect the kiddies, like everything else.

I know I don't get the speed I pay for.

Ask anyone who pays for cable whether the rates are reasonable. It
seems all the rates are the same for the same services, excepting
limited time promotions. A conspiracy theorist could say it's price
fixing but I'm sure no media company would do such a thing (wink, wink).

Rich