[BC] FM History

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Wed Nov 24 15:08:08 CST 2010

At 12:24 PM 11/24/2010, you wrote:
>We were always taught that Sarnoff had him thrown out the window.
>While the world could certainly do with a few well-placed
>defenestrations, this one was a big loss in my opinion.

We may never know if in fact Sarnoff was directly responsible for
Armstrong's suicide but it's certainly safe to say that being
constantly hauled into court and stymied by RCA at every turn
contributed to how helpless & depressed Armstrong felt.  Btw, there
were other figures from the formative years of broadcasting who later
took their own life (Irving Vermilya comes to mind; local
broadcasters in New England, as well as ham radio fans, might recall
his name).  Often the suicide was because of depression at the fact
that the industry had passed them by, or they were replaced by
someone younger (cheaper) without so much as a thank you.  We all do
love radio, but it could sometimes be a truly brutal business.