[BC] The "Net Neutrality" proper position to have ??

RichardBJohnson at comcast.net RichardBJohnson at comcast.net
Wed Nov 24 07:11:29 CST 2010

I all cases I was accessing the Internet from the company divisions in their respective offices. I am quite aware that even four-star hotels leave something to be desired.

Often I would have to download, using 'ftp' large files from the "mother ship." These were already compressed so that the tricks some ISPs play, where they compress the data in the pipeline and expand it before the last-mile, may actually hurt the data-rate because of the compression/expansion time. Typical download data-rates were similar to when I had a dialup link from my home.

Basically, I'd have to start the download towards the end of the day and then go to my hotel room. The download would finish sometimes in the late night. Before I learned this trick, I would spend 6 to 8 hours waiting for a 150 to 180 megabyte file to download --awful.

Cheers,
Richard B. Johnson
Book: http://www.AbominableFirebug.com/