[BC] Signal Strength Question

Tom Spencer Radiofreetom at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 00:57:44 CST 2010

The FCC database only has 1500 and 1600 licensed to the city of Key
West.  1500 is a two-tower located at the west end of Stock Island; 1600
is further to the east - and looks like it may have one of the FMs on
the same stick from what I see in Google's Street View (McDonald Avenue)

Checking nearby using Radio-Locator.com, I find WFFG, Marathon 5 kW DA-1
U, with a three-leaf clover pattern... also a two-tower setup.. Other
strong signals into Key West are:

WWCN-AM 770 kHz
North Fort Myers, a DA-2; 10 kW D, 630 w N, into 4 towers along an
almost north - south line (same pattern, different power)

WWFE-AM 670 kHz
Miami, 50 kW D, 1 kW N, DA-2; three towers day, six night.

Altogether, Radio-Locator shows a total of 23 AM stations with fair to
good signal strength at Key West.

Also shows 18 FMs that are within range, including three translators...

None of the stations actually IN the keys appear to have more than two
towers, though. so my guess is R. Marti or some other gov't installation
(although I thought R. Marti's TX site was just west of Miami?)