[BC] AM Stereo

Broadcast List USER Broadcast at fetrow.org
Tue Nov 23 23:59:36 CST 2010

Stereo actually means "more than one."

AM Stereo could have extended the length of time that music was played
on AM, at the expense of FM.  People don't recall how rough the launch
of FM was, and how many early FM stations failed.  With stereo on AM,
and no rush to add more AMs (interference generators), FM may well
have failed.  AM can sound very good, in a much lower bandwidth, if
done correctly.  Last I was in London, AM sounded amazingly good.

The Washington ComPost owned WTOP (1500 kHz) and an FM, which I
believe was WTOP-FM on 96.3 MHz, a full Class B, the way things turned
out.

The Grahms didn't believe FM was going to fly, so they sold what
became WHUR to Howard University for $1.

If all the AM stations had gone with ISB AM Stereo, once AM moved on
to mostly talk, we could have chosen to go upper or lower sideband
ONLY, and really cut back on interference.  We could do that today,
but we won't.  However, imagine how much interference could be avoided
if every station went lower sideband and reduced the carrier 10 dB.
Imagine the lower power bills too.

Envelope detectors would continue to work, and even cheap radios would
see the improvement as they could be offset tuned, unless they are
digital.  Even as digital radios, those legacy radios would see an
improvement, just not as much.

--chip