[BC] Broadcast Engineer Christmas Li st...

Broadcast List USER Broadcast at fetrow.org
Tue Nov 23 20:39:16 CST 2010

It's not broadcast related, but a REALLY good book is:

Idaho Falls: The Untold Story of America's First Nuclear Accident by
William McKeown

I was waiting to board a redeye in Las Vegas, and broke it open after
buying it at the Atomic Testing Museum.  I stopped in at about 10 AM
and planned to leave about time for lunch.  I ended up closing that
place!

I broke the book open and read some, then boarded.  I was in First
Class, so I was looking forward to sleep.  My plan was that I would go
to sleep once we reached 10,000 feet and I could lean back.  I read
the book all the way across the country, and got no sleep.  It is a
real page turner.

I also bought:

Atomic America: How a Deadly Explosion and a Feared Admiral Changed
the Course of Nuclear History by Todd Tucker

i have yet to read it, but a friend borrowed it and said he really
enjoyed it.  From the a quick look, it appears to be good.  I just
haven't had time for pleasure reading lately.

It is the story of the Army's SL-1 test reactor at the National Labs
outside Idaho Falls.  The only people killed by a nuclear REACTOR
accident in the US were killed at SL-1, the three operators.

--chip