[BC] BC] Cart machines

Broadcast List USER Broadcast at fetrow.org
Tue Nov 23 19:42:40 CST 2010

Actually, much more tha 90 degrees.  If the axle were to only go down
90 degrees, the "top" half of the pinch roller would block the cart
from being inserted in the machine.  It was more like 135 to 145
degrees.

One of the more interesting cart machines i ever used was the IGM
Instacart.

The ones I worked on were two columns of, kind of, groups of four
decks.  For the life of me I don't recall if there were 12 or 16 decks
in each column.  I seem to recall it had 16, for a total of 24 decks.
There were two REALLY LONG capstans.  The carts were put on aluminum
trays with black plastic "handles" on the front.  The pinch roller was
fixed at vertical on the tray, and there was a nylon bushing which was
on an extension a bit further toward the rear of the machine when the
tray was inserted in the machine.

The tray was removed from the machine and a cart would be placed down
on the tray, over the vertical pinch roller.  The back end of the cart
was against the black plastic handle on the front of the tray.

When a cart was called for, it was pulled back using that nylon
wheel.  This would pull the cart forward very slightly, and pull the
pinch roller against the capstan.

IGM made a 48 deck version of the machine.

Mutual originally had five of these in Master Control.  Four for the
four main commercial regionalization areas, three of which were
basically Time Zones. The fourth was a smaller regionalization.

Originally, because of union rules, the news caster delivered the news
cuts to Master Control, where the operations technician placed them in
the approprate tray.  Later, concessions allowed for ITC 3D machines
to be placed in the news announce booths, and two more news booths
were build adjacent to the newsroom as it was no longer necessary for
the Master Control operator to see the cues for the cuts.

The original fifth machine was a spare.  I believe more were added
after I left.  I didn't think they were that bad for what they were.

IGM also made one that was like a racetrack.  The cards would move in
an oval, and there was only one playing position.

There are some bad pictures at:

http://www.uship.com/shipment/IGM-InstaCart-48-Broadcast-Cart-Machine/151359808/

--chip