[BC] AM Stereo

Barry Mishkind barry at oldradio.com
Tue Nov 23 17:23:39 CST 2010

At 03:31 PM 11/23/2010, Lotus Engineering wrote:
>Just my never to be humble opinion, but AM stereo (of which I was a supporter) maybe like HD radio was a solution in search of a problem.  Most people I talked to back then could care less about stereo on AM.  To a lot of them "stereo" meant High quality, not even two channel!

        Bill, at first it might seem that way,
        but several studies in that era
        (including one a U of Windsor?)
        established that if the same cut
        were played on AM stereo and
        FM stereo, the average listener
        preferred the AM stereo.

        Maybe Bob Orban or Greg Ogonowski
        (not sure if Frank is monitoring the
        list right now - or Corny - or Jeff Keith)
        remember it better ... but that is
        what I remember being told at NAB.