[BC] The "Net Neutrality" proper position to have ??

Rich Wood richwood at pobox.com
Tue Nov 23 16:13:11 CST 2010

------ At 12:54 PM 11/23/2010, wpio fm 89.3 wrote: -------

>What do broadcasters make of net-neutrality, a fast track FCC item
>according to Drudge.  Or, should broadcasters even care about this item.

They should care. I don't see any management concern. If net
neutrality is to continue It had better be on the fast track during
this lame duck session. The new one will favor big business and and
the regulated businesses will write the laws.

>I think I remember Leo Laporte saying he was disappointed in Google's
>position.  I haven't heard Rush's side, or Ed Schultz's side.

Leo should be concerned. He and his former sidekicks at Tech TV are
now doing a lot of hour-long video podcasts/streams. Google's
products will sail through unimpeded. They partnered with the enemy
and ensured they'll be favored. It'll be interesting to test the
speed of Yahoo once neutrality goes away.

I doubt Limbaugh or Schultz know much about it. So long as their web
sites don't slow down life will be good. I don't frequent talk show
host web sites so I don't know how much video they use.

>The nearest to a left-right discussion I've heard was last night when
>Beck (for whom I have respect) was all mumble/jumble when O'Reilley
>merely wanted it explained.  Beck was anti, but was puke-poor in his
>explanation.

Here's where there really is a conspiracy. He should learn about it
and latch onto it with his usual accuracy. I'm not sure where
"puke-poor" rates on the quality scale but it doesn't sound good. I
don't respect Beck so I see all of his stuff as "puke-poor," if that's bad.

>  From what I can make of it so far, it is a good thing, not letting
>bandwidth for some sites be limited at the discretion of the ISP.

I believe net neutrality is a very good thing. Without it companies
will have to pay more to not be throttled. I see all of this like the
"Official" sanitary napkin of the Olympics. They paid to be official
even if the product is terrible. You can be an AARP good guy if you
pay for it. The the AARP lends its credibility to it with all the
fine print disclaimers.

Let's see what happens when Mom wants to send a monster-sized photo
of little Jimmy to Grandma and finds she's been added to the can't
fly fast list.

Rich