[BC] Circuitwerkes Sicon-8 opinion sought

Michael Patton tech at michaelpatton.com
Tue Nov 23 12:53:22 CST 2010

A few weeks ago I specified a Circuitwerkes Sicon-8 remote control unit
for a client, for the first time.  This particular installation was an
AM/ FM combo in a remote small town; the AM had a phone line but the FM
TX was too far off the grid, although both sites have wireless internet,
which works pretty good.  We chose the C-W because it could handle both
phone and internet connectivity, and so the client could have
consistency between sites--he wants to be able to monitor both sites
from his desktop.  Previously, the AM had a Sine, and the FM is brand new.

An associate of mine did the physical installation. The AM went just
fine, and can be called over the phone with no problem.  However,
neither unit can be accessed over the internet yet, and I'm told that
the C-W folks are telling the client he needs either a fancy router or a
"cheap PC" to run the Sicon and then use some type of VNC software, as
it was explained to me) at both sites in order for internet connectivity
to work.

The client is angry and claiming that we did him wrong by not telling
him he would have to spend money on the fancy router/PC, and I'm trying
to learn all I can and to calm him down.  He can be a bit volatile, but
that's another story.

Nothing like this was stated or implied in C-W's website blurb, nor had
I heard of any such requirement from any other engineer, and I've heard
a lot of good things about the Sicon unit, both here and on other chat
boards, and very few bad ones.

My questions are:  what are other folks' experience with these units,
both overall and especially with web connectivity?  What, specifically,
did you have to do to get the built-in web browser running, and/or the
Sicon software to run on a remote PC?  Any war stories, good or bad,
would be greatly appreciated.

And yes, I also have a call into C-W, and Kyle is supposed to call me
back today.  In the meantime, what have been your experiences?

--
Mike Patton, owner, Michael Patton&  Assoc.
12231 Industriplex Blvd, Ste C, Baton Rouge, LA  70809