[BC] The wrong way to deal with tech budgets

Broadcast List USER Broadcast at fetrow.org
Tue Nov 23 03:57:07 CST 2010

Comments within:

On Nov 22, 2010, at 9:00 AM, broadcast-request at radiolists.net wrote:

> Message: 21
> From: Alex Hartman <goober at goobe.net>
>
> I would like to know who the hell is paying $160k on the INTERNET
> side of things. I can see DBAs or sysadmins of enterprise
> datacenters containing large mainframes making that kind of coin,
> but your friend, unless he carries any of the above titles and a few
> degrees, is overpaid. And if he's a DBA or a sysadmin, he is most
> certainly on call at some point.

Um, that is pretty easy.

The folks who deal with critical Internet infrastructure.  Those folks
who make the Internet actually work.

> Rack monkeys in chicago make about 45k/yr for third shift. Amazon
> must have a serious bonus system to make that up.

Honest to God, the opening offer for Amazon in the DC market,
specifically Manassas, VA is $60k before overtime.

There are nearly 40 openings there right now for rack monkys.  It pays
$60k,  but it is shift work.

Last I knew 37 openings.  Why stay in Chicago?

> [...]
>
> Besides, 70k/yr is about 2x my current pay at my "day job"... i
> could live pretty cozy on twice the paycheck.

Dude, you really need to apply at Best Buy.

You can make more, and not be on call.  Being on call means dates and
worse cannot be insured.  I recall several times as a young guy who
had to "complete the transaction" because the voice pager sounded when
I was ...  Well...
> --
> Alex Hartman

--chip