[BC] New Petition filed today on EAS issues with the FCC

Ron Youvan ka4inm at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Nov 22 15:28:40 CST 2010

Alex Hartman wrote:

< I would really like to see a diversity requirement for that since EAS-CAP
have to co-exist. When CAP does take over, I would hope that I would be
monitoring several different servers, not just the statewide system. >

   11-11-10 SBE chapter 39 in Tampa had a conference (that I attended) and
one of the presentations was an explanation of CAP.
   We are required to be complaint* by having the type excepted equipment, we are
not required to rebroadcast any of the alerts that we receive, our equipment must
check servers for local (created and uploaded to their local server by *all
of the the local EOC/s,* by whatever means we can arrange) state and whatever
there is.
   Our CAP equipment must frequently check the servers for up-dates since the
last check.  The data is in the form of XML files that are wrappers for any kind
of computer data, only the MP3 files would be compatible with the old EAS system.
     (as far as I know)
* 180 days after September 30th, 2010 I believe, I am on vacations and my notes
are at work.

   The problem that I forecast is: "the EOCs and divisions of the state will
become comfortable with the creation of CAP data and they will stop creating
and sending the old fashioned EAS messages, FEW will air the CAP information
the news departments may love it, so CAP will soon become required to be aired,
(if there are enough stars or what ever) we will have to have a live body go
through the downloads to see if there are PDF files (or anything else) that
must be read on the air."
   (sift through the amber or silver alerts and such)

--
Ron KA4INM