[BC] The wrong way to deal with tech budgets

RichardBJohnson at comcast.net RichardBJohnson at comcast.net
Mon Nov 22 09:28:32 CST 2010

When I was designing equipment for Cetec/Sparta, working for Paul Gregg in Sacramento, CA. I wanted to keep connected with radio so I had a couple radio stations on a "paper route" where I would show up at the transmitter once a week and clean it, test it, and sign the maintenance log. One was in Vacaville, CA, another in Roseville, another in Jackson, CA and another in Merced.

Eventually, I wanted to devote more time to flying on the weekends as I had just gotten my Flight Instructor certificate.

Therefore, I decided to increase my rate, hoping that the stations would find me too expensive to continue. It did not happen. Instead, I even ended up with two more stations to look after, one in Reno, NV, and another in South Lake Tahoe.

The moral of the story is that customers pay for perceived value. If one professional's services costs more than the average then he is likely worth the value.

Cheers,
Richard B. Johnson
Book: http://www.AbominableFirebug.com/