[BC] can technology create a significant revenue source

Jeff Glass Xmitters at aol.com
Mon Nov 22 09:41:45 CST 2010

In a message dated 11/22/10 8:00:32 AM Central Standard Time,
broadcast-request at radiolists.net writes:

> At 01:09 PM 11/21/2010, Alex Hartman wrote:
>  >The hard part in the online arena is competition.
>
>          Quite. SO .. the question, again,
>          Can new technology create a significant revenue source for radio?

NO, it can't. We're looking at this back asswards. Technology does not
normally create a demand. Demand creates a need for technology.  There are some
obvious exceptions to this rule.

If the technology is the result of responding to a real demand, then new
technology can create additional revenue.

Some people believe that Internet streaming is the way to go, and I agree
with that. Based on the fact that there are significant number of Internet
surfers who are willing to listen to radio via the Net, it makes sense for
broadcasters to employ that technology.

There is a need for creativity with regard to new products, and sometimes
those new products will create a demand (where the operative term is
sometimes).  But there is a very fine line between responding to a demand for a
product and creating a demand for a product.

To my knowledge, there was not a consumer drive for HD Radio. We just put
it out there, hoping people would buy into it because it was latest
technology. They might. But, this approach is the long way of getting a product to
sell.

Jeff Glass, BSEE CSRE
Chief Engineer
WNIU WNIJ