[BC] Can technology create a significant revenue source for radio?

Barry Mishkind barry at oldradio.com
Sun Nov 21 20:05:58 CST 2010

At 01:05 PM 11/21/2010, harold stanton wrote:
>Barry says: "The best example you can have on this point
>
>        is probably television: in many places 85% or
>        more use cable or satellite. The FCC is looking
>        to take some of that bandwidth back. The TV
>        industry doesn't want to give anything up - even
>        if no one is watching."
>
> Harold says: Please understand that TV consists of more
>              than a "metro" wired area. All TV has a DMA

        Quite... and out here in the west translator chains
        can take it 100 or more miles past Grade B

>              So even "if" no one's watching, they really are.

        I need to parse this a bit more, and maybe my
        head will stop hurting.  <g>

        My original point, though, was that with the
        vast majority on cable/satellite in many areas,
        the FCC is looking to take the bandwidth back.
        Right or wrong, that is what the NAB is fighting
        (along with the FM chip in cellphones).

- - -

        Enter your name into the $100 Cash Prize giveaway.
        Details at: http://www.theBDR.net/