[BC] Cover Art/Liner Notes via Digital Radio

Rich Wood richwood at pobox.com
Sun Nov 21 13:38:06 CST 2010

------ At 12:02 PM 11/21/2010, Mark Earle wrote: -------

>I agree, would like to know/ understand this. The only thing on the
>iBiquity site is:
>
>http://www.ibiquity.com/press_room/news_releases/2010/1484
>
>Really lacking in details.

I agree. The head doood of the IBUZ company doesn't seem to
understand radio. He's assuming stations will hire the staff needed
to enable this stuff. The puff release mentions what sounds like a
demo at the NAB. Did anyone see it? How much of the 96 kilobits will
it take from the audio? The HD-3s I've heard don't sound much better
than Bell's connection to Watson. It's a little like digital TV in
this market that uses four channels. The fourth looks like a bad
early kinescope.

>Mr. Struble so far has not answered my simple request for more information.

That probably means it isn't ready for prime time, especially since
stations aren't providing the required data. I won't even mention the
enormous lack of receivers in listeners' hands.

If I were in charge I wouldn't promote a receiver with pictures until
every station was providing them. Put the capability in but don't say
a word about it. Let the 8 non-radio consumers with the receivers be
thrilled once their radios come alive before their great
grandchildren grow up. Like car receivers, if it's promoted and
doesn't work out of the box, it's going to be seen as defective.
Buyers will feel they've been screwed. They will have been.

Rich