[BC] linksys

Harold Hallikainen harold at hallikainen.com
Sun Nov 21 13:42:01 CST 2010

> I realize your mileage may vary,,,but, my experience with linksys has been
> very poor.  i have found with some consistency that about half of their
> products do not fully work reliably long term.
>
> Edwin Bukont CSRE, DRB, CBNT

I've got a fair amount of Linksys stuff and am looking at replacing it. It
seems to overheat and partially die. I have fans sitting on top of each
piece of equipment to keep it running. Even with the fan, the DHCP server
in the BEFSR81 router stops responding. Otherwise, it keeps working. But,
since our laptops use DHCP, I have to reboot the router each week or so.
It only seems to be the DHCP server that dies. The rest of the system,
including port forwarding, continues to work. So, I've got an Ethernet
power switch (http://www.webpowerswitch.com/ ) so I can reboot the router
(or anything else) remotely. Luckily the rest of the router continues to
work, or else I would not be able to get to the Ethernet power switch.

Harold