[BC] Getting the Commercials on

RadioRan at aol.com RadioRan at aol.com
Sun Nov 21 11:30:04 CST 2010

Hey Tom and Richard,
    Splicing pieces of tape and spools of recording wire was child's play.  Back in the day, when a 78 RPM record developed a skip or a repeating groove, we had to un-wind the groove, store it carefully so it wouldn't break, make the necessary repair and carefully wind it back on to the disk.
    You always hoped it was closer to the beginning of the record, because getting the eccentric grove at the end of the record back in the right place was tricky.
    Have a great Thanksgiving, All!
Randy Wells
Several in Santa Rosa, CA

<<<"Splicing" as Tom so well explained it was the main editing technique for years.

Some us, probably including Tom, go back to the days of wire recorders. Splicing was done a little differently with wire. You used a non-magnetized wire cutter, then tied a knot in the pieces that were to be spliced together. This technique was also used when the wire broke, a frequent occurrence.

Intense splicing sessions for magnetic tape (and wire) also lead many of us to a nautical tradition called "splicing the main brace" where quantities of liquid were ingested by the splicer to deal with the stress and pressure of the act of splicing.

For more details on "splicing the mainbrace" for those not familiar with the phrase, and under what conditions said splicing was done, see the Wikipedia lest I get further off topic on this thread.

Richard Rudman
(recommending Dewars on the Rocks)