[BC] Ed Burkhardt...

Burt I. Weiner biwa at att.net
Sat Nov 20 17:05:15 CST 2010

I met Ed many years ago.  He discovered that I was making off-air
frequency measurements in the Southern California area.  The first
time he called I answered the phone with my normal, "Come In", and
all I heard on the other end was, Burkhardt here".  After a long
pause by both of us he went on to introduce himself.  After that we
talked quite often on the phone up to the time of his passing.

They way you can evaluate noise when doing FM frequency measurements
is to determine how quite or clean the carrier becomes when listening
to it beat against a transfer oscillator with modulation removed.  If
the carrier is very quiet, 60 dB or better it will appear pretty much
as a clean CW beat.  If there is any noise such as hum or his, it
will make the zero-beat broaden out.

Part of Ed's  setup used a General 1109A "synchroscope" that he had
modified.  This is a comparison scope with the second anode lead in
the center of the screen.  He would feed an audio tone into one side
of the scope, the audio tone being the result of a standard beating
against the unknown incoming signal, and a transfer oscillator into
the other side of the scope to to produce a Lissajou pattern.  He
would adjust the transfer oscillator until the Lissajou pattern would
stand still and then read the frequency of the transfer oscillator to
determine the exact difference between the standard signal and the
incoming signal.  I have copies of his modifications to the GR-1109A
that he made.  Ed and I were always exchanging notes and ideas on how
to go about measurements.

I felt very sad when Ed passed away.  We never got a chance to meet
face to face and have a good laugh at each other's expense.  I know
we both would have enjoyed that.  Just after he passed away I spoke
to his wife.  We talked for quite a while and she sent me a picture
of Ed.  I will always remember the times I answered the phone only to
be greeted with a long pause followed by, "Burkhardt here".

I also use a scope as a beat indicator and sometimes using a Lissajou
pattern.  See:  http://www.k5cm.com/k6OQK%20FMT%20NEW.htm

Burt