[BC] Getting the Commercials on

Thomas G. Osenkowsky tosenkowsky at prodigy.net
Sat Nov 20 12:45:57 CST 2010

When I was an OM (PD/MD) I also made commercials part of my programming. I
started with contests that forced the listeners to LISTEN to the product. I
would have trivia questions about the song just played. For examples, in the
Ian Matthews song "Shake It", name the five things the girl had? In the
Ozark Mountain Daredevils song "Jackie Blue" (we played the LP version) what
color were Jackie's eyes? It took me two months to prepare for April Fools
Day. I would edit songs and listeners would have to call when they heard the
wrong version. For example, in "I Am Woman" the last refrain says "I can
face anything", whereas the previous two said "I can do anything". Or in
"Summer In The City" I spliced in twice the bridge with the car horns twice.
You had to actively listen to win.

I then transitioned that philosophy into spots, asking questions like "What
kind of wood is used in the Harmony dresser?" Advertisers loved it,
listeners won prizes and billings were above expectations. Creativity was
key. More work yes. Greater results, yes.

Tom Osenkowsky, CPBE