[BC] Where the industry is headed?

Dana Puopolo dpuopolo at usa.net
Sat Nov 20 05:12:10 CST 2010

Yep.

And what we have are the likes of John 'slogan' Hogan, 'Trickey' Lew Dickey
and Fagreed Suleman running the three largest companies. No innovation there!
Of course, CC thinks that hiring Bob Pittman, founder of MTV will 'shake
things up' but it won't-MTV is over 30 years old and in between he ran AOL.

Enough said?

Tribune hired Randy Michaels-he tried 'shaking things up' and promptly got
fired-along with most of his programming and Internet hires. Stoic companies
like Tribune don't like being 'shook up'-they would prefer a graceful slide
into obscurity.

To quote Danny DeVito in the movie Other Peoples' Money: "And I'll bet the
last buggy whip manufacturer left made the best ones out there!".

So true!

-D

From: Glen Kippel <glen.kippel at gmail.com>

The industry needs more innovators, and I just don't see them out there today.
 Everybody seems to be in a rut, imitating everybody else while PUR and TSL
are on a downward slide.  And I don't know what can be done about it.