[BC] PPM vs program content

Rich Wood richwood at pobox.com
Sat Nov 20 10:26:59 CST 2010

------ At 12:28 AM 11/20/2010, Kevin Raper wrote: -------

>Can't anybody give me a decent Morning Show with good music, Traffic & Weather, and News Headlines without the idiot Yuck Fest or weird sounding processing?

You may be getting your wish. I've seen reports from PPM markets that indicate all that mindless morning yelping doesn't rate well with people who wear them. I'm seeing more music intensive shows and two person (or more) teams reduced to one. Even entire formats lose. Smooth Jazz was the first victim. Almost daily the trades report format changes to more PPM-friendly ones. Unfortunately, those formats tend to be lifeless, sterile, homogenized and predictable.

In diary markets you're out of luck. There's no need to change because the survey methodology is still the same. The only hope you have there is that the firing binges continue and there are fewer mindless people on the air. Wait. The mindless people are generally cheaper. Real talent is expensive and will probably be the first to go.

My iPod and Pandora are my friends.

Rich