[BC] Where the industry is headed?

Barry Mishkind barry at oldradio.com
Sat Nov 20 10:04:56 CST 2010

Folks ... I am going to bifurcate the posts that have been coming in.

The thread drift from the original post subject line may have been
my error.  The original post talked about the report dealing with
future sources of revenue - and, as mentioned by Wheatstone,
who paid for it: "centered around radio technology and its role
in revenue generation."

A separate thread started to mutate to programming content
and management attitudes toward staff.

Yes, I have to agree that programming choices do cause
effects on listeners and revenue.  Management also has an
effect on where radio is.

But the report addressed 14 "Findings" ... and quoted some
names in the industry.   The question is - and yes, the
report was commissioned by Wheatstone ... so what? - how
radio technology will affect future sources of revenue.  Either
the points are valid or they are not. Whether Wheatstone paid
for it or a transmitter manufacturer or a microphone maker,
the question/"findings" were put out there.

Perhaps those of you who have read the report reject the
"findings" ... and some of the people quoted. I know I
have a major problem with at least one of the comments
and its maker. Some of it may philosophical. Some may
be practical. But simply posting examples of programming
successes or failures, good GMs or bad, does not speak
directly to the contribution/effect of technology on the
revenue stream.

For those of you who haven't read the report, the summation
in the Table of Contents on pages 3 and 4 already provide
direct statements to which you can respond.

For those wishing to talk about good and bad programming,
or changing workplace issues ... you can. But if you want to
go that direction, follow the topic.

thanks

- - -

        Enter your name into the $100 Cash Prize giveaway.
        Details at: http://www.theBDR.net/