[BC] Where the industry is headed?

Alex Hartman goober at goobe.net
Fri Nov 19 23:52:58 CST 2010

You obviously aren't the core demographic of any PD i've ever met... then again, neither am I apparently.

Also, those with an attention span of more than... ooh shiny object.... Err, sorry, need not apply.

I had an idea once that the sales people absolutely loved, but the PD hated. Sell the entire stop set to one client! Do that a few hours a day, and see what your cume does to run 2-3 mini-commercials ("this hour of music brought to you by miller cheverolet!" every few songs) instead of 23 minutes an hour of horribly produced ads by 19 year olds at the corporate station 300 miles away... Of course, this might only work on a station that has low numbers already and can afford to take the income hit. (if you're billing under $10/ad, $100/day won't kill you to see what happens, of course if you bill 400 bucks a 30s ad, yeah, this idea is NOT for you. :) )

The old commercial-free hour of music is so fake it hurts. As if the listener wouldn't really notice you stacked the ad stopset from one hour into the hour before/after. :P That is providing you have listeners that can stick around for 3 hours... I know some stations have it out there. :)

As for the digital revolution, get with it folks. It's not going anywhere. Take it upon yourself to negotiate a reasonable rate with whatever stream provider you want to pay. Live365 and last.fm both have "blanket" payment plans. Hell, they even have a "pre-pay" system. It tracks your aggregate tuning hours, once reached, it shuts down your stream. IE, it fits your budget instead of getting a very large surprise every month of varying eyeball strain.

--
Alex Hartman