[BC] Assistance with a tall tower

RichardBJohnson at comcast.net RichardBJohnson at comcast.net
Thu Nov 18 10:18:35 CST 2010

A 1/2 wave is about 370 feet in free-space at your frequency. If I assume a propagation velocity of .95, which is reasonable for uniform cross-section towers, it would be 350 feet for 1/2 wave. A similar antenna that was "way too tall" in Phoenix/Tempe, AZ was 450 ohms + J200  (awful). The necessary minimum Q of the matching network reflected sidebands back into the GE 50 kW that would make it croak. I made some modifications to the GE to reduce its output Q, which (finally) let it stay on the air.

If you are an experimenter, this is a good place to install a folded-unipole with short skirts. This would get the impedance down as well as the reactance. You make the skirts slightly less than 1/4 wavelength in length. You can experiment with a single wire, a bridge, and a grounded antenna, before you spend any money

Cheers,
Richard B. Johnson
Book: http://www.AbominableFirebug.com/