[BC] Cover Art/Liner Notes

Rich Wood richwood at pobox.com
Wed Nov 17 12:32:32 CST 2010

------ At 11:26 AM 11/17/2010, Sid Schweiger wrote: -------

>The dashboard of pretty much any car made in the last ten years
>contains a GUI where the old-style two-knob radio controls used to
>be, even if the vehicle doesn't have a navigation system, and I
>don't see those being returned as defective in substantial numbers.

There haven't been substantial numbers sold with any digital radio
except satellite. The dealers in this area have no idea what
terrestrial digital radio is. I'm told that BMW has had a problem in
some major markets. We know of at least one (discussed here in depth)
in New Jersey where you can see the Empire's antennas.

>   My concern is the distraction factor.  Any graphic which requires
> a longer look than the standard "three-second rule" for avoiding
> distracted driving should be banned from the dashboard.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. Nearly every accident or close
call I've seen has a driver holding a cell phone or looking down as
they drive - a clear sign of texting. Distractions used to be eating,
applying makeup ("farding" as Limbaugh called it - "women shouldn't
be farding in their cars"), reading newspapers, shaving and other
non-electronic activities.

As an aside, many stations used the Limbaugh comment as a stunt. WLS,
for one, took him off the air for a day or so. Most people heard it
as slang for passing gas.

>   And in an age in which recordings don't come burned onto media
> anymore, album art (relegated almost 30 years ago to a 5"x5" space,
> the size of the lid of a CD jewel box) is rapidly becoming irrelevant.

There seems to be a slight uptick in young people going back to
vinyl, partially for the large, colorful artwork. Some of them say
they feel closer to the music because of the extra steps they have to
take using a turntable. It's not quite the enormous, unstoppable
revolution terrestrial digital radio is (historically known as IBUZ)
but it's worth noting.

Rich