[BC] Cover Art/Liner Notes

Rich Wood richwood at pobox.com
Tue Nov 16 20:26:43 CST 2010

------ At 09:01 PM 11/16/2010, Bill Weeks wrote: -------

>Cover art is part of the HD Radio "Artist Experience", a new data stream
>definition.

I think I would have called it "Listening Experience."

>The Harris rep that explained it at a recent SBE meeting was very
>excited about it.

Did he mention any receiver manufacturers that were committed to
implementing it?

>Doubt that anyone is transmitting the information yet.
>Can't imagine why anyone would.  As I recall, the "art" is 200 x 200
>pixels, and takes something like 16 minutes to transmit, might have that
>wrong.

Ow. The 200 x 200 isn't quite the iPod or iPhone "experience" though
it's adequate for a very tiny screen but the killer is a longer
download time than the song lasts. People have become used to the
online ability to display all the info as the song begins.

Are there enough people left in the industry to input all this data
and keep up with the visuals for commercials that constantly change?

This is another chicken and egg situation where the receiver buyer is
going to expect this to work out of the box. Waiting 10 more years
for stations to see any revenue or ratings value in it will result in
still more unfulfilled promises.

Rich