[BC] EAS alert tones in movie preview ad

Rich Wood richwood at pobox.com
Fri Nov 12 19:09:22 CST 2010

------ At 02:54 PM 11/12/2010, Tom Spencer wrote: -------

>The guy/gal that reads the AP "wire" off the computer screen...
>
>Don't forget, Indy is a Top 50 market; so SOME stations maintain a "news
>department" of sorts...

How comfortable does that make you feel? Suppose there were a local
disaster like Three Mile Island. Does that guy/gal with those reading
skills have the training to actually gather news? Can anyone picture
an FM station going wall-to-wall with a qualified news team in a
local emergency even in a major market?

I can't.

Were back to the cost vs. profit center thing. For radio, news is a
cost center. For TV it's a profit center. After all, when a TV show
is local the station is in complete control of the spot load. In this
market TV news begins at 4 or 5 and continues until 6:30. Then
network news takes over. Morning TV new often begins as early as 4am
and continues until the virtually newsless network morning shows
begin. They're newsless unless you consider celebrity puffery to be news.

As I've said before, I have no idea where I'd tune for radio coverage
of a disaster. Radio news here is a disaster.

Rich