[BC] Skyline TV Promo

Rich Wood richwood at pobox.com
Fri Nov 12 12:39:23 CST 2010

Earlier someone posted a list of irresponsible sounds often used in
commercials and promos. In the old NAB code (struck down as illegal)
the use of sirens or sounds made by emergency vehicles were
forbidden. You could jeopardize your NAB membership by allowing them.
There were many very reasonable things in the code. I've held on to
many of them and worked feverishly to prevent anything that would
alarm or distract a driver. I won most but lost a few. The ones I
lost came from major agencies. The GMs were reluctant to turn away
the business or annoy the agency.

I was surprised to learn that Massachusetts actually passed a law
requiring drivers to move aside to allow emergency vehicles to pass.
I was taught that in Driver Ed school decades ago.

New York City needs to pass or enforce such a law. Getting a taxi to
move out of the way requires major firepower.

Rich