[BC] need a NON-technical explanation

PeterH peterh5322 at rattlebrain.com
Fri Nov 12 10:31:55 CST 2010

On Nov 12, 2010, at 8:04 AM, RichardBJohnson at comcast.net wrote:

> Prior to 1960, the MKS system of measurements was the worldwide
> standard (Meter kilogram second). Cycles per second was used within
> this standard. When the SI units (from the French Le Système
> International d'Unités ) was forced upon us, cycles were dropped,
> in favor of naming everything after some person.

However, LONG after the MKS system (and kHz) was adopted, mV/m/kW at
1 mile was retained by the FCC, possibly until "Rio", after which mV/
m/kW at 1 km was adopted.

The older editions of Part 73 state the minimum (AM) radiator
efficiencies as 225 mV/m/kW at 1 mile (Class I), 175 mV/m/kW at 1
mile (Class II and Class III) and 150 mV/m/kW at 1 mile (Class IV).

The newer editions state the same as 362.10 mV/m/kW at 1 mile (Class
A), 281.63 mV/m/kW at 1 mile (Class B and Class D) and 241.40 mV/m/kW
at 1 mile (Class C).